Sunday, March 21, 2010

Materials and Environment- Mothers of Inventions

The above title is a declared objective of this blog appearing in first place in site header: "Materials Science and Engineering: Durable Development, Sustainable Development..."

My previous post but one published on 16 March 2010entitled,"Nanoscale, Nanomaterials: Basics - Calculate numbers of surface to volume atoms and much more." included embedding a Google book one of whose authors is by Prof. M.F. Ashby, FRS. whose work I admire greatly.

While researching work by his co-authors in particular by PJ Ferreira of The University of Texas at Austin,with the aim of commenting further on "Nano-things", I spotted not only Ferreira's abundant online publications which included work I had referenced very recently in fact by Carlton and Ferreira on the topic of Inverse Hall-Petch Relationship at the nanoscale (about 10nm)in Nanomaterials. Coincidences... While wondering how come my P.J. Ferreira became associated with Mike Ashby famous particularly for his work in Materials Selection for Engineering Applications a bit of lateral thinking led me to set aside for a moment considerations on how I intend to develop more on "Nano-thing" and focus a new on my blog's first declared focus the Title or Header support punch lines or Tags namely Durable Development, Sustainable Development..." ie. return to Mike F. Ashby.

EUREKA on two counts:

1. "Materials and the Environment – Eco-informed Material Choice" is the title of his second book published in 2009. An embeddable google preview is available for readers to preview in-depth. cf below or via on my RHS menu first entry in new list Materials and Environment.

2. A recent book review by fellow materials professionals appeared on Materials World book reviews I shall quote the reviews introduction "This book is an accessible introduction to environmental issues associated with materials selection. Anyone familiar with Professor Ashby’s other books will recognise his style and, as ever, he excels in presenting information in simple graphical form."...as I tried to convey in my earlier post on M.F.Ashby et al's other 2009 book on Nanotechnology.

The full review MW, Nov 2009, is freely available to all readers:
Materials and the Environment – Eco-informed Material Choice



RELATED POSTS